Back in 2011, Apple joined Twitter. Not that you’d know about it, mind, as they’ve famously never tweeted. Or have they?
I know what you’re thinking: how can private accounts be of any use to me? After all, as marketers we want the world and its dog to see our efforts — and rightly so. But there are a couple of uses for private accounts that you may not have thought of.
I’ve long been a fan of what’s known as the 80/20 rule on Twitter. For those unfamiliar, it means that 80% of the content you share on social media should be someone else’s — the remaining 20% should be your own.
No-one seems to have told brands though, and it’d take a brave social media manager in a small organisation to try and change this. Most management teams simply want to know how a social network is driving conversions —and therefore relentlessly spamming your own content is the best way to do this (after all, the more you shout about something the more likely people are to buy it, right?).